Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Interesting take...Why tablets are failing miserably in higher education, posted by Derrick Wlodarz of betanews--May 2014.

As I'm reading this article I find myself agreeing a lot with what the author has to say but also disagreeing at the same time.  IPads were meant to be setup as an 1:1 device, managing 30 of them, that roam with a cart through my middle/high school, (grades 6-12 being used for the most part as nothing more than glorified web browsers) is a pain in the butt.  And you should see what I had to do get them to print, Oy!!  

Yet I have seen them used that more than justify their purchase; in Special Education--streaming audio books from my MacBook server.  Using iMovie to create and edit videos. Having a 6th grade class Skype to Austria, capturing and uploading video with ease.  Math games, etc.  

Is the iPad more of a consumption tool than a creation tool?  Maybe higher ed is that MUCH more production while at the secondary level it is still consumption heavy?  Have we fell under the spell of the Apple marketers or is the author just a disgruntled PC user? Read the article and discuss among yourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment