Thursday, November 3, 2022

Issues with Mac OSVentura and printing pdfs

Don't you just love it when Apple does something with an update and ends up leaving the world scrambling for a fix with no suggestions from them??

Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of stuff (awesome tech support, tools, etc.) that make my life way easier but this one got my head scratching along with others on the planet.

In October of 2022 Mac came out with OS13 Ventura and the app Preview no longer printed .ps (post script) or .eps (encapsulated post script) files.  I had one machine I had to update to Ventura so I could install Apple Classroom on it (Classroom needs OS 11.3 or higher).  Once I updated to Ventura the Mac lost its ability to print .pdf files in Preview.


Preview in Ventura Drops Support for PostScript and Encapsulated PostScript Files


Konica suggested removing the printers from System Preferences (System Setting in Ventura) and then removing any traces of the software by going to: Finder→Go→Computer–>Macintosh HD→Library→Printers and removing all the folders of the brand of the printer/copier that's not working. Next download and install the most current driver for that printer/copier.


Next add the printers in System Preferences/System Settings.


Open a .pdf in Preview and see if it works, at first mine did not, after which I downloaded Foxit Reader from the App Store…made that the default program for all .pdfs and lo and behold I was able to print .pdfs again.  The funny thing is that I opened up a .pdf in Preview and was able to print from that as well! Who knew?!?


Here are a list of the latest OS.


Ventura / OS 13 / Fall 2022

Monterey / OS 12 / Fall 2021

Big Sur / OS 11 / Fall 2020

Catalina / OS 10.15 / Fall 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment